Tuesday, October 29, 2013

scarcity v. prosperity

Yesterday I posted a link to an article. When I went on Amazon to read reviews of the book Scarcity I realized that I know someone who works at the company that published the book. I sent him an email and he was quick to send me a copy. I'll be reading the book in the next couple of days and sharing my thoughts. (I know. You're thrilled at the prospect.)

I've started to read Scarcity and I have to say it's all very interesting. But if you already feel as if you can't keep up with your bills and/or struggle in general you might not want to read this book which will only prove to you, chapter after chapter, what you already know. If you're struggling in any way what you want to do is this:

a. figure out how to be grateful for everything
b. adopt a prosperity mindset.

It's all well and good for privileged people to publish their ideas. I'm always for everyone becoming a raging success, and a book is a great way to generate passive income. However, I'm not sure I need men with advanced degrees, who have observed large swaths of data, coming to conclusions and not supplying a game plan.

Many years ago I realized that I didn't have a plan. If the following is true: "If you want to hear God laugh, make a plan." I've left God doubled over with laughter for the past decade. I've also managed to pay down ALL of my debt. I've managed to accrue savings. I've learend how to give a crap about myself and others. So God can laugh all s/he likes. I'm living here in the material world. I'm talking about flesh and blood, love and hate, conflict and resolution. I'm talking about being human and whenever possible, taking it up a notch or two.

It wasn't until a couple of years ago that I started to mull over prosperity. Technically, I might not be "rich" but right now I'm definitely wealthy. I have a deep appreciation for all the work I've done. I do right by my fellow people. (Do I f*ck up once in a while? Sure. Who doesn't?) Have I been hurt badly, even within the past couple of years? Yes. But the way I distinguish my current-self from my former-self: I no longer "go there." And let me tell you it required quite a bit of effort on my part. Being angry and lashing out wouldn've put me on the same level as the person who was causing harm. Holding myself to a slightly higher standard left me exhausted for a while and then one day I realized that not-engaging in the anger had paid dividends. It had left me with the ability to choose. And so I'm clear, I'm not talking about moral superiority. I'm talking about using your heart to bring you to another level. You will feel weird the first couple of times you do this. With practice this will become second nature.

The next time anyone treats you poorly, see if you can rise above it. (If you're in an abusive situation or relationship, this does not apply. In that case: get out.) I'm talking about the type of situations where there is room for growth. Even if the person with whom you have the problem can't move on, you might have the opportunity to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment