Thursday, October 24, 2013

Live young. Think young. Die young.

I read this piece this morning. It's kind of blah and it doesn't give me any technical information as to how to go about thinking young, but I like the idea that I should think young. It would be kind of funny if the dude pictured in the blogpost actually let his 3 year old pick stocks. When does "young" begin and end? Young must be "anything that isn't old."

To think young:
should I think more about sex? (I already do that quite a bit.)
should I take more risks? (I believe the answer is yes.)
should I remain focused and open-minded? (Again, yes, although I'm not sure I've mastered this.)
should I look to break rules? (Yes.)
should I sleep more or less?
should I party more or less?
should I think more or less?
should I look to history in order to place myself in perspective and then break all the rules?

I'm fairly certain that if I want to die young I have to stop working behind a desk. I'm fairly certain that to think young, I have to have little regard for consequences. Another way of putting this: be fearless. (Fearlessness + savings will prove to be a killer combo.)


In a couple of years from now when I build my first house, I'm going to be sure that it makes use of passive heating. I know I'm going to end up in New England and I don't want to have to heat with oil, wood, or gas. (I'll probably cook with gas.) I keep wondering about "zero" emission cars. When will they actually reach zero emissions? (30% of all energy is lost on (from) the grid.) Coal is the dirtiest, smelliest fuel source and right now most of our electricity is produced from coal. So your "zero" emission hybrid is a big fat lie. If you've got a wind turbine in your backyard and you're powering your Tesla or Prius from that, I take back what I've said. Otherwise, people wise up.

I'm going to have some land in production; grow food and put by for the winter. (Did I lose you with my back to the land approach?) This isn't going to be about frugality and wearing ratty-ass clothing and back breaking work. Not by a long shot. What I realized when I was in Ag a few years back is that anything, even work, can be fun and then it's no longer work. I never had a greater sense of security then when I looked out on the fields filled with food. Forget zeroes in the bank balance. Being able to eat when the economy was tanking, that was an amazing feeling. They say that a space 10 feet by 10 feet will feed a family of four. I'll be sure to blog about the results when the time comes.

In the meantime I've got go get me some fearlessness. Not the sort that lives in my mentality, but the sort that I put into action. I've got to go find me some rules to break.

No comments:

Post a Comment