Thursday, April 10, 2014

Joy Behar

I believe it was Joan Didion who said, "New York City is for the young and the rich."

And it could be argued that she's right. While I'm neither young nor rich, I've decided to make the most of my days in the Big Apple. I try to do one thing per week that can be done only in NYC. For the past 5 weeks: Nets versus Bobcats ($35 ticket, Nets won); Paul Taylor Dance Company ($10.00 ticket); Baroque Organ Concert ($10 ticket), worked a Brooklyn food market (free + ate a lot of free food from other vendors); Joy Behar "Me, My Mouth, and I" workshop (free).

I could review each of these events but really it's been so freakin busy I don't have the time to make the time, but I do have to talk about Joy Behar for a minute or two. Whether or not you've watched her on The View or if you consider yourself a fan, this woman is f*ckin funny. I wasn't a fan, and not sure I've become a fan, but I got a free ticket, in fact I was a "guest of Joy Behar," yesterday. The rehearsal was held from 2:00 -- 3:30 pm. I told my boss I had to run some errands and let's just say, my lunch hour ran a little long.

Joy is workshopping a new, one-woman show. Should she ever take this thing live, go and see it. She's really really funny. You'll be walked through her career -- from Long Island housewife, mother of one, and wife to a sociologist. Until she edits it down a bit you might feel things get a bit long in the tooth, but the laughs are large and frequent. I'm not a fan but I have a ton of newfound respect for that woman. She tells a ton of stories. My favorite moment comes toward the very end. She's been asked who was her favorite person to interview. "Catherine Denueve." When Joy was seated next to Catherine, she was overcome with admiration to the point where she couldn't even speak and just stared "At the face of France." Catherine asked one of her people, "Is she a lesbian?" "I am now," was Joy's reply.

If you get a chance to see, "Me, My Mouth, and I," do it, if only to spend an hour with an extremely intelligent, funny woman.

If Joy were to ask me my response, I'd say, Thank you. I realized that she had the guts to risk something of herself, and in doing that, ended up making a chunk of change. It was fascinating to sit in a room with this woman who built herself up from nothing.

I felt that she handed me the blueprint and for that I'm totally grateful. I have no more time to be chickenshit.

No comments:

Post a Comment