Monday, September 16, 2013

Decades in the making

(Spoiler alert: I've used all of these words before, just not in this configuration...)

Thursday I went to lunch with the woman who I was hoping would be my agent. This was our first sit down with just the two of us. (I've been working on a novel for the past 3 years so I've traded emails with a lot of people regarding the manuscript.) Mid-way through the meal, I said, I have a question for you. She looked at me, expectant. I asked, Are you my agent? For a moment I could tell that she tought I was a nut-job. When she realized I honestly didn't know what our relationship was, she replied, Yes, I should have explained that earlier.

Up until that time I didn't want to be presumptuous. For many months I've thought of her as my would-be agent or the woman I hoped would be my agent.

Now that we've got that settled I can say, and this is a sentence a longtime in the making: I had lunch with my agent.

What a relief. And to top it all off, she's a brilliant woman. Do you have any brilliant women in your life? If not, go out and get at least one. They make all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment