Monday, January 13, 2014

You always get what you choose.



“You won’t always get what you want but you always get what you choose.” John C. Maxwell, The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth          

This past weekend I went for a couple of mini-walkabouts. While my version of walk-about bears little resemblance to the Aboriginal Rite of Passage, I’m sticking with the nickname.

Along the way I made a pit stop at a B & N Bookstore and grabbed The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth. I grabbed a seat and read a couple of chapters. After years of attending self-help workshops and reading numerous books on just about everything, there wasn’t a lot of new information in this book and this dude loves to quote other people (which always irks me a little bit) but I like what’s going on with “you always get what you choose.” I’ve often thought I was living the life I chose but, and this is big (for me), I haven’t recently gone into mantra mode on this particular topic. So. I’ve spent the last few days taking stock of every single aspect of my present circumstances and asking myself, why do I choose this?

Okay so if you’re not obsessive and not really into self-improvement, don’t try this. But if you’ve got a hankering to roll up your sleeves and get dirty, try it. In each and every situation you find yourself in ask, why am I choosing this?

Thus far I’ve got a lot of boring reasons. Mostly it’s about maintaining the status quo (read: paying my bills, eating, etc). BORING.

Why would I choose to be bored?

I’m going to worry the risk-taking gene and see if I can figure out if there aren’t a couple of things that can be changed. Okay, I’m actually contemplating an entire life-overhaul. I don’t need to add a hobby. I need to get rid of all the things that are getting in the way of me achieving my highest good.

What I know is this. While I’m not that young, I’m not old. And I’ve packed it all in and started anew a couple of times. Perhaps it’s time to do it again.

The only answer I can come up with: I’m not being creative enough to come up with the way to live a more exciting life.

By exciting I don’t mean that I have to go sky diving every day, rather I’m more interested in being fulfilled. Luckily I’m grateful so I’m not complaining while I figure things out. Instead my attitude is: I’ve got my health, I’ve got a job, I have a place to live. How can I add another few layers of texture?

In writing this and thinking about it I’m getting that nervous/excited feeling. (Totally gives me the shivers.)

Read here: about the dude who quit his job, earns a little less, and is more happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment